--By Saurabh Sharma--
Quality assurance and quality practices have been there for ages and we have been evolving with the time. Similarly call centers which were traditionally run by organizations in house have evolved with large BPOs coming in as subject matter experts and outsourcing of this is very evident these days. Having large scale multiple location centers for medium to large B to C companies has become a norm. By outsourcing the nerve center, it has become very important to have a close monitoring of what customer is trying to communicate through your call center and quality assurance is one of the key channels to understand customers’ voice. Keeping an independent agency which specializes in quality has never been so important as ever. An agency without any bias for your business to keep an eye on the radical changes as per new normal.
Below are some of my thoughts on how to do it and the best approaches to execute it.
To start with, there would be a lot of ways quality assurance for a Call Center
can be gauged and one of them is transactional audit. Straight away we can jump on to what are the ways we can do these audits. Would list some of them as below:
- Recorded call audits - You have a logger and quality team can listen to the calls.
- Mystery calls to call center - You can have a surprise element when you anonymously call up your own center to gauge how a typical response comes. For example, you are an insurance major and you want to know how your contact center is responding to a newly launched policy or are they speaking about all the USPs.
- Mystery number placement for outbound centers - so you add some sample numbers in calling numbers to gauge the effectiveness of out calling process. For Example, your Credit card sales team is unable to convert and you want to know why customers are not responding to them.
- Written communication - Integrated email system which records each response to customer through Email/ Chat
- IVR Experience - Auditors periodically review the IVR tree and its practicality considering the current market trends
- Chatbot Algorithms - Regular user assessments of the bot you have deployed and the response relevance.
While we listed the key types of CC Audits it is not as straight forward as it seems. When there are large numbers involved for example: Multiple Centers, hundreds of people, thousands of scenarios/ resolution and lakhs of interactions every month it takes series of steps to get it write. Let’s talk about the 5 key things to keep in mind while you are planning the call center audits
1. Sampling & Cycle
- It is important to understand the sampling for each Line of Business (LOB) and each center in case you operate out of multiple centers. Coverage of each frontline staff along within a 90 to 95 percent confidence interval for correct statistical numbers are really important aspects. This calculator would shortly be available on QDegrees Website
. There are now Machine learning modules available which help is selecting key scenarios for calls to be picked up for audits. Now the second part Cycle, you need to intelligently look at how the management or stake holders look at KPIs on monthly basis and how these reports are part of the management discussions. This gives you a leverage to keep the quality at top of key stake holders mind.
2. Audit Monitoring Sheet Creation
- While you create the Transaction Monitoring sheet (TM sheet), keep a long term view at least the KPIs that you want to track and monitor for next 6 to 12 months. You would always want to have consistency when you are dealing with large number of frontline teams. It is also very critical to time it basis organizations long term strategy to align with the organization’s goal.
3. Automated Audit Tool
- If you have an audit tool which gives you flexibility to have multiple type of TM sheets considering different LOBs and feedback mechanism for front liners it gives you an added advantage specially with lot of front liners now shifting to work from home. There are some more aspects like online dashboards to look at during the cycle and course correct, alert mechanism on some critical to business deliveries and close looping of the alerts. You can also ask for a Demo of SimpliQ,
one of such tools developed by QDegrees with more than 7 years of experience.
4. RCAs/ Improvements -
When you have ensured that you are getting all the updates and alerts online the next step is to create a funnel for call to action. When you start getting alerts and they are getting into required categories you can start creating action plans basis Root Cause analysis to ease customer pain. You can segregate low hanging items mostly pertaining to People and Process while system level corrections may take longer. If your program does not end with a call to action to improve either quality of experience or business achievement it would always remain a cost center.
- There are 2 kinds of outcome management is always looking at one is the qualitative aspect and second one is monitory. If you want to hit the nail on its head you need to connect the dots of improvement in quality to business outcomes. That is why the emphasis on Sampling and TM sheet is required, you would have to have quality improvements converting into numbers for business and that is how you get all the attention to quality assurance needs in an organization.
To conclude I would stress upon the fact that the need for keeping specialized quality function is ever important since the workforce engaged in both selling and service is now operational on Work from Home Model. New technologies evolving with lot of opportunities for improvement/ customization, this can be specific to the lifecycle your organization is in currently. There are technologies evolving where call interactions can be segregated as positive or negative as your loggers can now have neural engines configured.
We would have technology to audit some of the parameters on 100% calls because computers would do it and we won’t have to deploy the current level of manpower for basics they would do much more intelligent work in the time saved by machines.
E-Learning and assessment tools have become way more important while we want to check on knowledge enhancements and delivery.
I rest these thoughts with you to write what you think should be the approach for 2020 - 2022. Write, discuss and debate as no thought is complete without your opinions.